How to transfer your car in T&T.
You must register a vehicle transfer with the Trinidad & Tobago Transport Division any time you wish to buy, sell or change ownership of a motor vehicle. The registered owner and the new owner together must apply for a change of ownership within seven days of the sale or transfer. You must be at least 17 years old to change ownership of a vehicle. Changing ownership of a motor vehicle safety inspection can only be done at the Port of Spain, San Fernando and Tobago Licensing Offices.
How do I change ownership?
The registered owner and the new owner must complete the transfer together and submit the following documents to the Transport Division office.
- Complete Change of Ownership Form No. 11
- Vehicle registration certificate and valid insurance certificate.
- Valid national ID card or passport for both the registered and new owner.
- Receipt of sale (where applicable).
- Prescribed transfer tax and fee.
The application is processed on the same day.
How much does it cost?
The transfer fee is TT$10.00. The transfer taxes vary according to the (license) age of the vehicle:
New Transfer Taxes (as of October 1 2009):
- Complete the Transfer Form which is obtained at the information counter
- Take the vehicle to the Inspection Shed
- Return to the main office until called to the transfer counter
- Pay at cashier (usually closes at 3:00 pm)
- Both parties must be present at the counter
- Both parties must each have two (2) forms of identification
- A Receipt with the new owner’s name must be presented
- Insurance in the name of the buyer must be presented (cover note will suffice)
- Transfer must be effected within seven days of Sales Receipt
Licensing Offices in T&T where transfers can be done:
- Wrightson Road, Port of Spain
- By-Pass, San Fernando
- Milford Road, Tobago
Taxes are applied to date of 1st registration in Trinidad & Tobago (license plate series), not year of manufacture.T&T License Plate/Age Guide